Last Saturday I part-took on a Solo Saturday Adventure, and braved the crowds down at the local festivity zone for the Vancouver 2010 Olympics.To those that know me, it is no secret that I was not a huge supporter of the Olympics (go ahead, ream me out all you like). I was (and partially still am) one of those people who would have loved to see the billions on dollars spent on real economical issues and the drastically cut school board funds rather than giant inflatable beavers and massive LCD screens that will most likely never be used again.
That being said, Vancouver put on one hell of a party, and being downtown in the atmosphere made me really (really) proud to be a Canadian. It was a wonderful feeling to be in the middle of it all, and experiencing first hand the level of excitement and Canadian pride that filled the air. From the sirens that were strategically placed throughout the city, to the hidden speakers singing our national anthem when we won a gold, it was apparent that someone was paying attention to the details. The flame alone was an incredible thing to see, which means quite a bit coming from a skeptic like me. Everywhere you looked there was groups of people proudly displaying their countries colours, no matter what country they were coming from. As Vancouver was already vastly multi-cultural before the Olympics, it was interesting to see so many tourists mixed with the citizens of Vancouver (and surrounding areas), and how well they interacted. Or at least seemed to interact.
To be honest, I have actually been wayyyyy too emotional during these Olympics for my own good. (because of Joannie Rochette & the Canadian Ice Dancing team in particular). I have always supported out Canadian athletes, and (again) I feel immense pride to watch our Canadian athletes giving everything they've got to represent themselves and our country.
As for the solo portion of this adventure - the only downside was that I didn't actually get any pictures of me and any Olympic things (the torch, the street performers, the artwork, and the plethora of red). I suppose I will just have to get really good a photoshop and plop myself in there somewhere.
No comments:
Post a Comment