When I was younger, I would read everything.
Street signs.
Books and magazine covers (until I was old enough to read what was in between the covers).
Notes that my mom scribbled on napkins or notepads.
If I came across a word I didn't know, I'd ask. I suppose that makes me lucky, because my parents always took the time to explain those words that I didn't know. They also took the time to read to me on a daily basis - to a point where I had the books memorized before I actually learned to read them.
Again, I realize that I was lucky, as plenty of children do not have the privilege of experiencing this growing up. It is because of this, however, that I plan on making my children lucky in this sense as well.
Today I read about, and thoughtfully pondered what makes some children more literate than others during their developmental stages. I have never had an extensive interest in child development before, however, this challenge has me wondering about things I've never considered before. Such as how and why some children seem to excel at the written word, whereas others do not. I suppose it goes back to the ol' nature vs nurture argument, which has never quite been proven (in one direction or the other). It appears that the common agreement lies somewhere in between the two extremes, with both playing a part in child development (as a toddler, and up throughout the teenage years).
It does, however, seem to significantly enhance learning capabilities of a child if they are read to on a regular basis. Or, if reading is simply taught and/or encouraged by the actions of their parents (other those elders surrounding you). This is probably why the librarians pushed that "read like a champ" program so much.
Once again, I realize how lucky I have been.
So this reading today has left me wondering if it is a matter of ignorance (i.e. they do not quite understand the importance) that a large percentage of parents do not take the time to read to their children, or is it simply because of a lack of time.
It also makes me wonder if they were more aware of the importance of doing so, would it make much of a difference?
1 comment:
Great post! I recently listened to an episode of This American Life that gets at your question about what makes a literate kid. The story - it was about the Harlem Children's Zone - was incredibly moving. You can get it here http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/364/Going-Big if you're interested.
Post a Comment