It's been a few busy months over here in extraordinary land - although I'm tempted to say they've been less than extraordinary. I won't burden you with the details, but I will share that they've involved large amounts of water, damaged goods and unplanned renovations.Stir in a little temporary home, living out of suitcases, and a few missing cords/earrings/shoes...
... and a whole lotta' soul searching.
Because of the experiences of late, I've been meditating on the idea of change - and how to keep routine in the event of unexpected changes. It seems that since I've shifted more towards embracing my creativity, the more I've begun to thrive on routines. You know, the kind where you can get up in the morning, settle into your nook with your coffee and your pens and pencil crayons and begin constructing your dreams for the day.
that routine becomes near impossible when your coloured pens are gosh-knows-where in a box somewhere, and you don't have one location where all of your supplies are actually together.
So I've been trying to sneak it in where I can. In doing so, I've realized that even though I would love to have more routine these days, or more time to spend in solitude, sometimes just 10 minutes with a boring black pen is all I have.
I think we've all been guilty at one time or another of putting aside something because we just don't have the 30minutes/hour/3 hours required to commit to whatever task it is that we'd like to be doing. So instead of using the 15 minutes we do have on it - we just don't do anything it all.
Which really doesn't make any sense.
So for the past 10 weeks (how long it's been since we've slept in our own bed) I've been committed to just biting the bullet and using those 15 minutes. Throwing caution to the wind, I've been whipping out my black pens, and laying on the floor to jot down my thoughts of the day (I know, I'm a rebel). Sure, the pages aren't pretty, or the detail fun and frilly. But the thoughts are there, the beginning of clarification is there, and the seeds are getting planting, marked, materialized into something I can read down the road.
In those 15 minutes I may not be making a masterpiece, but I'm making a piece nonetheless (and someday, when I have more that 15 minutes, it will come together and make something beautiful).
Sometimes awakening the giant isn't about trying to throw the biggest stone, it's about throwing whatever you can lift, as many time as you need to.
So today, I inspire you to do something little with whatever time you have - because at the end of the 15 minutes you could have done something to work towards your dreams, or you could have done nothing.
Which will you choose?
Photo Credit
No comments:
Post a Comment