Wednesday, November 3, 2010

On the Importance of Music


A few months back, our ipod dock stopped working. I haven't replaced it yet (mostly because that would require acknowledging that it doesn't always pay to buy the most expensive gadget out there), and it's had a huge huge effect on me.

See, music has this incredible power to uplift, mellow, inspire and relax - but it just doesn't happen all on its own.

You have to seek out the music that speaks to you from the sea of artists and genres and instruments.

It takes an intent to discover.

...and when our ipod dock stopped working, I started forgetting to discover.

I got used to silence or just listening to the radio (or whatever else was on). And funny thing happened after doing this for so many months - I started to forget what I liked.

Not just artist or song names, but how I wanted music to make me feel.

So I'm intent on discovering again - and listening intentionally (make sense?).

Here's what I've got plugged in so far this month:

  1. Kenny Chesney - Somewhere With You
  2. Damien Rice - I Remember
  3. Blake Shelton - Who Are You When I'm Not Looking
  4. Jason Aldean - Don't You Wanna Stay
  5. Rachael Yamagata - The Reason Why
  6. Nick Drake - Place to Be
  7. Ray LaMontagne - Shelter
  8. Coltrane - So What
  9. Rachael Yamagata - I Wish You Love
  10. Coltrane - In a Sentimental Mood
  11. Regina Spektor - Us
  12. Feist - Mushaboom
  13. Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
  14. Doves - There Goes the Fear
This November, give yourself permission to really listen to the music you're turning on. Heck, I even dare you to lay on the floor - because we all know something magical happens when you listen to music while laying on the floor....

... it has that way of sneaking deep into your soul and changing you forever.

Photo Credit

1 comment:

Gina Marie said...

Racheal Yamagata is AWESOME. Kind of forgot about her so I'm glad you reminded me. Do you know her song 'Be Your Love'? My fave. So good.

Hope all is well! Great post.