Saturday, December 11, 2010

Reverb10 | Community


Q. Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011? (Author: Cali Harris)

A. This year, I discovered community locally.

For those of you that do know me personally, I've spent a lot of time in the last few years searching for community in general. Because really, I'm weird. I like things like scrapbooking, knitting, writing, expressing myself through art, exploring local talent and buying handmade.

I want to experience life to the fullest, and take time to learn and incorporate a work/life balance. I value individuality and I like to work on projects that I can be proud of in the end.

The hardest part is, I find it hard to meet people that have the same interests as me. In 2009 I discovered twitter and the huge advantages of social media, and I re-discovered blogging. Suddenly, by creating this incredible community of people "just like me" I didn't feel so alone anymore. I could read words written by other people, that I could have written myself because our thoughts and opinions were so similar.

In 2010 I'm somehow slowly managed to bring that community offline, and find people in my own community that also value and enjoy the same things. Which is such a cool thing to finally discover.

In 2011 I would like to put more effort into becoming more involved in this community, and become more comfortable moving out of my comfort zone. I'm beginning to learn that you cannot, under any circumstance, find and reap the rewards of community if you are too afraid to talk to people. I won't lie - I am more than slightly social awkward at times, and tend to get anxious just thinking about social events where I don't know anyone, but I'm learning slowly how to hold my own in a room full of strange people.

I spent a lot of time thinking about the past - and the way things used to be in high school, and college. It never ceases to amaze me how simple making friends seemed to be during those time. It's like people just naturally gravitate towards one another, even if you didn't exactly have the same interests, it just seemed to happen. I often wonder if it is just life and growing up that changes those circumstances, or if it is just me in general, and how I've changed how I look at the world over the years.

Does anyone else find it more difficult to cultivate community now that you're older?

2 comments:

Emily said...

"I like things like scrapbooking, knitting, writing, expressing myself through art, exploring local talent and buying handmade." I like those things, too- all of 'em:) And yes, I've totally found it harder to "make friends" (i.e. find community) now that I'm older. Why is that?

Laura said...

Totally agree with finding community harder once you're out of school. I suppose it's because instead of having people all around you looking for friends you have to seek them out yourself. I often wonder what happened to all of the people my age. There were tons in college but now? Gone. Poof. Also, your interests seem totally normal to me and I can think of tons of people I know who like those same things! I'm glad you find some in your area, too.